Saturday, August 29, 2009

Irony of parenting life

As I was reading my friend Kate's blog, I chuckled at some of the things she wrote regarding parenting. Her morning started out with a dirty-diapered 16 month old and a cranky almost 4 year old.. she continues to write:

"I ended up feeding him a handful of Nilla wafers, and throwing on the T.V., cause he wouldn't agree to anything else. Thoughts of my B.K. (before kids) ways of thinking came to me this morning as the second kid came downstairs and demanded cookies for breakfast too. I remember so self-righteously thinking that I did NOT understand parents who let their kids eat garbage and junk food, and chicken nuggets. I get it now. Not only to I get it, I do it, a lot. Sometimes I just don't care, and sometimes I don't want a fight and am guilt-filled as I think of the nitrates, preservatives and sugar that I'm pumping my children full of."


I love how our outlook on parenting changes. I was the same way bk, "why do you let your kid run your life?" how can you let your kid eat that?" nice job as a mom...sheesh" some people should not have kids.." and now as noah had chocolate milk, chips, lolly pop and a piece of chocolate for lunch the other day as I dragged him to yet another ultrasound appointment with me and came home to nap my pregnant body on the couch and let him watch 5 episodes of veggie tales on TV.. I wonder these things about myself. "I think I will blog about this" I tell Kate in an email as I am agreeing with how much life changes when the reality of AK (after kids) hits...

No comments: